Laser + Holistic Dental recommends the following guidelines to maximise your oral health environment. For children, it is important to lead them by example. Make sure you show them the differences between good and bad oral hygiene, explain why it is important and help them out if they need it.
- Brush twice per day.
- Use a toothbrush with soft bristles and (consider using a biodegradable toothbrush).
- Use a gentle, circular motion and brush each tooth individually.
- Brush your tongue or use a tongue scraper as well.
- Change your toothbrush regularly (which is why a biodegradable one is much better for the environment!).
Flossing & rinsing
- Floss regularly – once a day is good.
- Be gentle on your gums, focus on cleaning the side of each tooth with the floss.
- Use a wider thread of floss to get maximum plaque removal.
- Rinse using a fluoride and alcohol free mouth wash. Xylitol based rinses are ideal.
- Avoid sugary and acidic foods. These do the most damage to your teeth and enamel.
- Follow a balanced diet – eat lots of vegetables. Learn more here.
- Use Xylitol based gum or mints to help neutralise the acid created by sugar metabolising bacteria in your mouth.
- Make sure you have regular dental check ups – every six months is ideal.